UNICEF works in some of the world's most difficult places to reach the world's most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them realize their potential.
In 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for all.
And we never give up.
For each child, a champion
Over the past year, the Niger country office has seen an increasing demand for communications, including participation in global donor outreach initiatives, public advocacy and strategic alliances, outreach and partnerships with the press, youth engagement, use of digital technology as well as strengthening of the organization's brand image. In addition, the Niger country office is engaged in various public advocacy and communication initiatives, which aim to help it broaden its leadership and reshape its engagement with stakeholders at the national level.
To meet this increased demand and given the multiple communication initiatives throughout the new 2019-2021 programming cycle, UNICEF Niger has identified an imminent need for specialized personnel to provide a range of support services in this area. of procedures, administration, monitoring and operation.
How can you make a difference ...
Under the close supervision and direction of the Head of Communication, the incumbent will be responsible for providing various information gathering, technical and administrative monitoring services, in support of the communication and public advocacy section.
The Communications Assistant will provide a range of procedural, administrative and operational support for the development, implementation, execution and monitoring of the communications program, ensuring that it is executed quickly and effectively, in accordance with UNICEF rules and regulations.
Support for the development and planning of programs:
- Compile data and information on topics relevant to the work of the communications section to facilitate the preparation of reports, working papers and presentations;
- Perform operations in VISION ensuring that program results, activities and program coding are in line with annual work plans, and make changes as per section revisions, if necessary.
Support the implementation of the communication project activities:
- Provide administrative and logistical support for visits by donors, UNICEF National Committees, UNICEF Goodwill Ambassadors and the international press;
- Provide administrative and logistical support in the organization of public events and other public communication initiatives;
- Assist the section in maintaining directories of donors, partners, national committees, the humanitarian community, NGOs and CSOs and the national and international press;
- Organize meetings, workshops and training courses and provide assistance in making the necessary logistical arrangements;
- Follow up both internally with the procurement section and externally with contractors to ensure that the supplies required for program execution are actually delivered on time.
Support for the implementation of the communication program:
- Plan and issue payments, follow up on cash advances, liquidation and budget using VISION for the communication section;
- Perform specific administration, operation and control tasks for the project and program activities of the communication section;
- Assist the section in the preparation of contracts (individual and institutional), procurement requests, Small Scale Funding Agreements (AFPE), and Program Cooperation Agreements (PCA);
- Summarize information reflecting current obligations and implications for the future program and / or budget; organize data and information, establish and maintain records, documents and control plans for monitoring the application of the communication strategy;
- Examine plans of operations, correspondence and take appropriate follow-up actions. Assist in the administrative process of assistance requests for the communication section.
Support for monitoring and reporting on program results:
- Provide support for budget review / preparation, implementation status, determination of the status of use of funds, operations and financial close;
- Monitor the budgets and financial expenses of the communication section, ensure compliance with UNICEF rules, keep the supervisor informed and make recommendations concerning the measures necessary for decision-making or follow-up;
- Prepare and maintain records, documents and control plans for monitoring the execution of projects or programs.
- A secondary school diploma (Baccalaureate), preferably supplemented by technical training related to the activity of the organization;
- A minimum of 5 years of administrative work experience or office experience with progressive responsibilities is required. Knowledge of the communications program is an asset;
- Fluency in French is compulsory and good knowledge of English is desirable. Fluency in the local language of the duty station is required.
For each child, you demonstrate ...
UNICEF's Core Values (CRITA) in terms of:
- Trust ;
- Cultivate self-awareness and demonstrate a sense of ethics;
- Work collaboratively;
- Establish and maintain partnerships;
- Innovate and embrace change;
- Think and act strategically;
- Focus on achieving tangible results;
- Manage ambiguity and complexity;
- Support, direct and supervise the staff.
The Functional Skills required for this position are:
- Learning and Researching;
- Planning and organizing;
- Following instructions and procedures.
See the skills on the UNICEF website:
The contract is for a fixed period of one (01) year with the possibility of renewal. The recruited candidate will be based at UNICEF Niamey.
The post is classified in the General Service (GS) category at grade GS5 of the United Nations System pay scale.