The United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) is an operational body of the United Nations supporting the effective implementation of its partners' projects in the humanitarian, peacebuilding and development fields. In accordance with its mandate, UNOPS is a central United Nations resource and provides sustainable project management, procurement and infrastructure services to a wide range of governments, donors and UN entities. With more than 7,000 staff members in 80 countries, UNOPS provides its partners with logistical, technical and management capacities according to identified needs. The organization simultaneously implements approximately 1,000 projects per year for its partners, contributing to the achievement of results in the field,
The “Niger Compact” project, funded by the Millennium Challenge Corporation (MCC) was recently signed. The Government of Niger (GdN) has created the Millennium Challenge Account (MCA-Niger) and needs support services in program management and infrastructure project management, in order to plan and implement the Niger Compact , which includes two projects: (i) the “irrigation and market access” project; and (ii) the “Communities resilient to climate change” project.
UNOPS will provide technical assistance and program management services, integrating highly qualified and experienced experts into MCA-Niger, the GoN organization responsible for the implementation of the Compact.
It is with this in mind that UNOPS is looking for a 'Program Management Office - Adviser' at an IICA 3 level who will work for the sub-regional office based in Niamey and report directly to the Head of the PMO Compact.
- Provide planning and cost control support for all MCA-Niger projects which includes reporting variations, tracking milestones to preparing invoicing processes for clients, etc.
- Manage the planning and monitoring of project activities.
- Lead the team of planners and documentalists ensuring the application of best practices in the field of planning and documentation of complex programs.
- Coordinate and work with activity managers and program leadership to resolve project issues to ensure delivery / completion of project work.
- Attend project meetings as an expert in project planning and monitoring and internal and external discussions.
- Perform a monthly report and review for the management team on the costs associated with the project and ensure that the expenses remain within the project budget.
- Provide cost control and planning advice to the internal PMT team as required.
- Monitor critical activities according to the project schedule and advise project management using Gantt, PERT, milestone tables and other program management tools used to support critical path analysis, short work authorizations term, resource allocations based on priorities, performance gaps and to support cost / planning integration.
- Support the portfolio management team in the planning, monitoring, analysis and reporting of projects / programs, including maintenance of the dashboard.
- Prepare and update the project schedule.
- Prepare, update and alert contract managers on the dates of submissions of deliverables, contract expiration dates and their amendments.
- Monitor daily work progress and prepare weekly and monthly schedules and reports.
- Maintain and record for the project manager the update of the progress made.
- Assist in the preparation of the work program, cash flow and labor histogram for tenders.
- Use of specialized MS Project computer software to help keep the project going.
- Make adjustments to schedules if necessary and make relevant recommendations to the team leader.
- Provide input for quarterly Compact reports and other UNOPS deliverables.
- Update project and program dashboards (through MS Project and Power-BI).
- Ensure that key information is under configuration management and change control information sharing within the program.
- Perform any other duties assigned by the Head of the Program Office.
- Knowledge in the creation, development, management, and operation of document control procedures, database management and libraries or other storage areas in documentation management would be an asset.
- Hold a second cycle university degree BAC + 5 (Master) in project management, or in social sciences, or in economics or planning or in a related field.
- A combination of a BAC + 3 undergraduate university degree (Bachelor) in Project Management, Social Sciences, Economics or Planning or a related field, and 2 additional years of relevant work experience may be accepted instead of education requirements outlined above.
- Specialized training in project management or cost control is desirable.
- Certification in MS Project (Managing Projects with Microsoft Project or equivalent) is desirable.
- PRINCE2 Foundation / Practitioner (or PMP®) certification is a considerable asset.
- A minimum of 7 years of experience in project management is required
- A solid knowledge of planning tools such as Microsoft Project and / or Primavera is essential.
- Solid experience in document management is essential.
- Experience in setting up Project Management Information Systems (PMIS) such as MS Power BI is a considerable asset.
- Knowledge of ISO standards in document and information management (ISO 2709, 10244, 15836, 15489, 21127, 23950, 32000) is highly desirable.
- Experience with cloud content storage solutions is an advantage.
- Knowledge of the International Federation of Consulting Engineers (FIDIC) contract is an advantage.
- Previous work experience in sub-Saharan Africa is an advantage.
- Experience with organizations of the United Nations system is desirable.
|Develops and implements sustainable operational strategies, thinks long term and takes into account external perspectives in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the effects of future activities and decisions on other parts of the organization.|
|Demonstrates an understanding of the effects of its role on all partners and prioritizes beneficiaries. Forges and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner to others (if applicable to his role).|
|Evaluates data and processes in order to make logical and pragmatic decisions. Take a neutral and rational approach in calculating risks. Applies innovation and creativity to a problem solving process.|
|Effectively establishes a series of steps for oneself and for others to achieve a goal. The actions taken lead to the complete accomplishment of the task while respecting the quality requirements in all areas. Identifies opportunities and takes initiatives to seize them. Understands that responsible use of resources optimizes the impact of our activities on beneficiaries.|
|Treat all individuals with respect; considers differences and encourages others to do the same. Embodies ethical and organizational standards. Meets high standards of honesty. Is a role model for issues of diversity and inclusion.|
|Open to change and flexible in a very dynamic environment. Effectively adapts its approach to follow changing circumstances or needs. Learn from experience and change behavior. Its results are consistent, even under pressure. Continuously seeks improvement.|
|Express ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Listens actively and shares knowledge spontaneously. Handles conflict effectively by respecting differences and finding common ground.|
|Acts as a positive example contributing to team spirit. Collaborate and support the development of others. For managers only: acts as a positive example of leadership, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, uses appropriate leadership styles.|
- Perfect command of French is required.
- Good knowledge of English would be an advantage
- Please note that the job posting ends on the closing date at midnight Copenhagen time (Central European Time).
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Harmonization between personal and professional life - UNOPS values its contractors and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive work-life alignment policy and we offer several flexible work schedule options. This procedure applies to all types of contracts.
- Only candidates shortlisted for the interview will be contacted.
- We strongly encourage qualified women to apply.
- For staff positions, UNOPS reserves the right to assign a candidate to a lower level position than that published in this advertisement.
- The successful candidate is required to adhere to the security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of UNOPS and the UN Security Management System.
It is UNOPS policy to conduct reference checks of all potential candidates for a position or internship.
These checks are decisive for hiring.